Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to Chuck Harrelson, President of Sonitrol, who spoke to our Young Executives Access Lunch group at the Downtown Clubs of Raleigh. He shared his seasoned experience as young professional, budding entrepreneur, dominator of Mount Rainier, husband/father, and now President of Sonitrol.
I found myself taking constant notes, as I often do listening to content-rich speakers. I enjoyed his personable approach that aligned with a powerfully salient message of leadership and tips on breaking through adversity. Below are some take-away nuggets of wisdom from his discussion with us which I know you’ll find extremely relevant in your profession:
Chuck Harrelson, President of Sonitrol:
* Do you ‘Hate to Lose’ or ‘Love to Win’? Nothing wrong with hating to lose – in fact, it usually motivates more.
* If you have the mindset of ‘This may not work out,’ then it probably won’t.
* Hire to your weakness – it’s easy to surround yourself with people like you. Don’t hire someone that’ll do exactly what you’ll do. Inspire them to be different in following the same mission.
* You can’t have a football team where everyone is quarterback. Same goes for an organization.
* ‘Burn Your Boat‘ – you’ll act differently when there’s no turning back after making a major decision.
* Look at what Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith said about complacency: “I treat every day in the NFL as if it’s my first and that I have something to prove. Complacency is what kills you.”
* You have to allow and empower employees to feel as if they own the company sometimes. If it was their company, they’d have complete ownership and accountability.
* Tip: Read the book, ‘Don’t Wish You Had, Be Glad You Did!’ by Judd Ammons.
* You can do so much more than you ever believe possible is possible. The human mind is unbelievable in what it can endure through creativity.
‘Like’, ‘Retweet’, and ‘Share’ this message if you found the content as superb as I did. Again, a great presentation by Chuck Harrelson, President of Sonitrol!
-Kevin Snyder, CMO of Inspir-Active Solutions, Kevin@InspirActiveSolutions.com
Motivational Speaker, Author, Dog Lover