Trying to make sense of how to get listed well on Google? The digital world continues to change to Realville. As Google becomes more and more sophisticated, traditional SEO is becoming less relevant to the equation for success on the web. Google continues to put more weight on off site intangibles (social discussion, popularity of your site, bounce rate, relevant incoming links, etc) than on web page optimization. I have been in this industry for 16 years. In that time, I have seen optimization techniques like keyword stuffing, link farms, cloaking, link exchanges, etc. come and go. I have also seen business models based on short term techniques to fool Google come and go too. Here are a few points that I think can help you for creating real long term equity in your positioning in Google and on the web at large:
- Research and select keyword phrases that are relevant to your marketing and build web pages, articles, press releases, blog entries that feature these key word phrases. The more current, niche and relevant the better.
- Write real content. Make it honest, authentic and valuable to the reader you are trying to reach.
- Exercise SEO basics for building your web pages or blog posts, and put keywords in the copy, title tags, page name, file names and alt tags.
- Comment on articles, blog posts and discussions of others.
- Set up a robust social media program on forums like Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Inside919, etc. Make sure that you are a relevant part of the conversation that is taking place on the web.
- If you are maintaining your own web site, make it easy to keep your site dynamic by using a content management system that is search engine friendly like Wordpress.
- Promote your site off the web. A lot of SEO guys never want to admit that you can raise your search engine rankings by promoting your site off the web. My belief is that Google measures everything it can. A simple thing like putting your web site address on a sign in front of your business will bring traffic in itself, but will also show Google that your site is popular and give you an edge. The web mirrors the real world.
- Do not try to conquer the world. Identify your specific niche in keyword strategy and stick with that.
In summary, build your on line marketing program on principles, rather than tricks. Remember, in the long haul, rather than trying to fool Google make Google your best friend by being good at doing want it wants, and that is deploying good, relevant content and making your site a desired destination for the people you want to reach. Be organic!
Carolina Web Consultants, Inc