There is no doubt that the internet is increasing as the dominent playing field for marketing. Whenever new technologies roll out, the small business man has to be cautious to move them, but with many old technologies like the Yellow Pages, newspapers and magazines quickly on the way out, business must move quickly to the internet for marketing or get left behind.
Today, social media is one of the most important tools on the web to reach existing and new customers. Below is a list of its benefits:
1. Social Media improves your brand. Presenting information about your business, products and industry through blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, online press releases, Ezines, etc. ,creating repeat business and more referrals keeps your company brand in the public eye on a regular basis without irritating them.
2. It engages the market place on their their terms. Customers can engage you when they are ready, in a manner that they are comfortable with, bringing in a better more educated customer who will qualify themselves.
3. Blogging improves your Google rankings. Google loves web sites that are updated with quality content on a regular basis.
4. Participating in the online conversation about your business will improve your reputation. What is being said about your business? Do you know? Are you a part of the conversation? You want to build the foundation of your online identity before your reputation is challenged, not after.
5. Social media levels the playing field for the small business. Social Media is the ultimate gorilla marketing tool. Competing with larger business for search engine placement and pay per click listings may not be practical, but social media can allow you to target your specific niche and sphere of influence.
6. Quality content other places outside of your web site creates valuable links back to your site. Participation in forums, blogs, article sites, and other information and discussion sites will provide link backs, bringing new visitors to your web site and improving your rankings with Google.
7. Blogging creates lots of special key word listings to your site. Over time consistent blogging will index your site on Google with lots of "long tailed" keywords. Long tailed keywords are multiple word search terms like "manderine chinese catering in the south", "growing purple tulips in new york", "bifocal eye glasses and headaches", etc. These specialized search engine inquires bring quality visitors into your web site.
8. A quantity of quality content about your business on the web creates credibility. When a potential client researches you on the web, what do they find...just your web site? Finding lots of quality content, discussion and reviews on Google goes a long way toward giving your business credibility with your market.