1) Set up a Google Plus personal profile page.
2) Edit the page and go to the area "Contributor to" and add the URL of your Wordpress.com blog with a real description above it. Make sure to save it. For example: "Martin Brossman in the Media" is the description and the URL is http://martinbrossmanmedia.wordpress.com/
3. Open another window or tab your with your Wordpress.com blog in it so you can switch back and forth between your Google Plus account and it. You will need the unique number of your Google Plus page in this process. Mine is 103386024139526427298 that I got from the link to my G+ page: https://plus.google.com/103386024139526427298/about
4. You are going to have to put some code in a text Widget area of your Wordpress.com blog that shows up on all pages. The code is this below but you will substitute your own Google Profile number for mine. Make sure to do this right for I don't want to get credit for your work. :)
This is the code:
Connect with me on: <a href="https://plus.google.com//103386024139526427298?rel=author">Google+</a>
(again you will use that unique number in the URL of your Google Plus page to set this up and replace my number "103386024139526427298" with your number. Double check this. or use this one to just copy and insert the number between // and ?:
Connect with me on: <a href="https://plus.google.com//?rel=author">Google+</a>
5) Go into the Widget area under the Appearance in the dashboard and click on the "Text" widget and drag it over to one of the areas that will show up on all pages like "Main Sidebar". Copy the code in that area too. Make sure to select Save when done.
And I have opened the Text Widget up to see how I pasted the code in there:
6) Last go to the Google Rich Snippet tool and check to see if it works by pasting in the URL and a blog post:
If it works you will see your little picture next to the text and if it does not an error on what to do.
Resources for the article:
This Google Plus community may be useful as well on Google Authorship:
Connect to me on Google Plus at http://BrossmanOnGP.com
Martin Brossman - Learn more about my training at:
ProNetworkingOnLine.com or call me at 919 847-4757
Let me hear how it goes for you.