It is that special time of year for us Wordsmiths when the trends, terms, and words that make ZERO sense need to be gently ground up like that old Christmas Tree in January. These 19 words and terms should disappear soon and be replaced by something in English (at least I hope):
• Hypothetics: Popular on Fox News and CNN, but why not use hypothetical?
• Irregardless: This oldie but goodie is still not a word for heaven’s sake!
• Obamacare: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPAACA) is a federal health care law not our President’s last name.
• Brick and Mortar: What ever happened to the word building?
• Gangnam Style: The song is catchy but the guy cannot spell.
• X Mas: Christmas is a very cool word, why shorten it?
• Holidaze: Ouch! I am dazed thinking about it.
• Tax Hike: Hike is a football term. Tax hike is not very “snappy”. Tax increase is a drop more credible. Actually, thinking about it, many tax hikes should be booted.
• Fracking: Hydro-fracturing is what it is and what it should be called; attention all shale gas fans, you guys rock!
• Entitlement: Just what does this term mean? It is a catch all word! Even I am entitled to write this term.
• Lohan: Although it gets “Googled” a lot, adding the right first name does get attention.
• Progressive: Another political term that does not hold a cup of tea. Let’s have a party.
• Problematic: Is this a broken dishwasher? This could indeed be a big problem.
• Historicity: Can't people say history for jeeps sake?
• Honey Boo Boo: I just cannot go there. In fact, why are there hundreds of cable stations with nothing on?
• Fiscal Cliff: By definition a place to push things off. I know who we can start with when they get back from vacation.
• Man Cave: This is the term that drive me the craziest. Drink a ton of beer, burp a lot and it stops being the den.
• Appy: Mobile apps make that smartphone smart. I am just not appy with the word.
• Romney-za: Man, I almost forgot! This is one Mitt that caught an awful lot of fastballs.
Although I am sending these 2012 words up on a spaceship to the moon, 2013 will quickly feature the cool (fool) words that will drive me crazy as well! I will just add them to my “bucket list” before I get another “brain cramp”. Look everyone, my new list is starting!
This post was brought to you by the team at IMU Social Media, your small business social media content organization, located in the Triangle NC.
Photo: arvind Balaraman, freedigitalphotos.net